Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have you launched a new site or revamped an existing one?

Feel free to post about it here. You can sing your own praises or ask for constructive feedback.

Let the games begin!

LostInIreland

The site looks a bit pre-dated, in the sense that it looks a bit pre 2000 with regards to layout and the text being used.

I wouldn't suggest using the baby image for the banner on the main page as if this is supposed to be a business website, the image of the child is used in the wrong context. SOme poeple could take the site not as seriously as they should.

splashIT.net

Hi all,

Some of my latest sites that have been just launched include:

www.xlr8motorsport.com
www.fatboymotorsport.com
www.splashit.net
www.horans.ie
www.emeraldplanning.ie
www.ruthmotorsport.com

PS All of these website have been launched either just before christmas or in the last week or 2

LostInIreland

Sorry to be a critic, but you don't have to listen to it, it's just my opinion.

But it looks like all your sites style and design look very pre-dated, almost expect sites like that to be developed pre-2005.

splashIT.net

LostInIreland said:
Sorry to be a critic, but you don't have to listen to it, it's just my opinion.

But it looks like all your sites style and design look very pre-dated, almost expect sites like that to be developed pre-2005.

no bother man. that was bound to happen. well if i do say so my self and i am not trying to be smart but for someone who is completely self trained i dont think they are to bad. Some of them can be totally updated using an online control panel. Mabey when i get some further training i will be able to impress you!

My customers are happy and paying so i dont mind!!

splashIT.net

blacknight said:
If you can learn and improve then you'll be fine :)

deffo ya... ah well i get ideas from the strangest places. Ah i intend to go to carlow this year to do computers and i think there could be classes in webdesign in my course so should be laughin then. Anyways i know a guy thats a web expert in there so i'll hook up with him!

LostInIreland

Well al the best then for your courses, sites aren't too bad at all when if you're just starting out, i remember a few that i did, and if i look back now they were terrible.

Good luck to you man, and all the best in web design

louie

first i will look into learning CSS. You need to be in control of how text size looks on everybody's computer.

sinead

Cross Culture Training

www.crossculturetraining.com - a website related to educating business people for upcoming visits to Japan to optimise their efforts while there. :)

We wanted to keep it very simple, straightforward, no nonsense but also that way to enhance SEO - i.e. text heavy rather than image heavy.....

sinead
www.crossculturetraining.com

LostInIreland

A few sites done lately

Sinead, not a bad site, although, if you are not going to be using graphics to enhance the appearrance of your site, I would suggest using a different font to separate it from the everyday sites you get out there, perhaps tahoma or trebuchet MS, font size 11. Instead of setting your font size="2" for your headings, rather use heading tags eg. <h2></h2> to make your headings more prominent.

These are the 2 latest sites that I have done. Have a look and let me know what you think.

The first is www.gurhymortgagesdirect.com and the second is http://www.sunningdalemews.com.

sinead

thanks for that Lostinireland. Good words of advice. i'll bear that in mind.

I like the look of your sites - they are 'busy' but not overly so. The second one promoting the holiday homes is especially nice, i'm guessing that you've sold up the place alot and enhanced its appearance cleverly by the images you used and the way you presented it. how did you do the little photos with the quotes underneath 'pinned' up on the left hand side?

LostInIreland

Thanks for the comments, the images was quite easy, i think you could do it in almost any graphics package, however the one i mostly use is Macromedia Fireworks.

It's as simple as creating a white box, adding a drop shadow to it and then flattening it. Just ensure that once you flatten it you are happy with the way it looks. Once you have done that, you take your rubber and then just rub out a box inside your white box with the shadow. Place your image that you want behind your whit box and then position it however you want to.

Remember to leave enough space at the bottom of your image when you are cutting out your box to be able to put text on it. and then once you have placed your image, put your text on it, try using monotype corovia or some script font,. and then walla, you're done. If you have fireworks, I can send you the .png file if you want.

nephronim

New irish student creative community website

In the last couple of months a couple of students have set up a website to encourage inter-college chat and shring of work and ideas. We have called it andy and have been trying to get people using it and generally participating whether it be submitting an article or work for the gallery its been a great project to be involved in and we are looking for poeple to get involved whether they be students of some disipline or not.
Thanks for your time
www.andy.ie

Status
Not open for further replies.