Which page for deep links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caminowebmaster

I am building some deep links and could do with some advice on this: should the links be built to www.mypage.com/folder/ or www.mypage.com/folder/index.html

The aim is to get the folder and all files in it found for particular similar key phrases.

Any ideas?

Banana Man

The links you get to that "folder" will not benefit any other pages within that folder (well directly anyway). If you get links to www.mypage.com/folder/ or www.mypage.com/folder/index.html it makes no difference, its still treated as the same page. Make sure when you decide how you want to setup the site structure which one of the above links you want to use and only link to one of the with your internal site links. Otherwise you link equity will be shared between the two domains above and they will both have the same content.http://www.mypage.com/folder/index.html

RedCardinal

The links you get to that "folder" will not benefit any other pages within that folder (well directly anyway).
That's rather an odd statement. The value of inbound links flows from the target page to other internal pages linked to from that target page. Given that the index of any folder is more likely to point down to other pages within that folder those other pages are going to benefit more from those inbound links than other subpages on the site.
If you get links to www.mypage.com/folder/ or www.mypage.com/folder/index.html it makes no difference, its still treated as the same page.
Not quite. Google has started to identify / and /index.ext as one and the same, but this has only really come into effect in the past 4-6 months. Best bet here is to use one or the other URI convention throughout the site, and if possible set up 301 from /Index.ext to / or vice-versa.
Make sure when you decide how you want to setup the site structure which one of the above links you want to use and only link to one of the with your internal site links. Otherwise you link equity will be shared between the two domains above and they will both have the same content.http://www.mypage.com/folder/index.html
Shared between the 2 URLs perhaps? Google handles this pretty well now.

Key to this is probably going to be getting the right anchors pointed at your deep content. Of increasing importance of late is where those inbound links come from - geo-targeted results coming more and more into the fray these days.

Rgds
Richard

Banana Man

That's rather an odd statement. The value of inbound links flows from the target page to other internal pages linked to from that target page. Given that the index of any folder is more likely to point down to other pages within that folder those other pages are going to benefit more from those inbound links than other subpages on the site.

That's why i said not directly anyway. All i meant was you are better off deep linking to pages directly for specific search terms rather than linking to the index of the folder.

And about the other 2 points i made, Google isint the only search engine on the market. Even though it accounts for about 90% of my hits i wouldnt discount the benefit of other search engines completely.

RedCardinal

That's why i said not directly anyway. All i meant was you are better off deep linking to pages directly for specific search terms rather than linking to the index of the folder.
Very true. However if you're using silos then you will likely gain quite a lot from targeted links pointing at the index of each silo.
And about the other 2 points i made, Google isint the only search engine on the market. Even though it accounts for about 90% of my hits i wouldnt discount the benefit of other search engines completely.
Also very true. But Google is by far and away the most advanced at dealing with canonical URLs. I tend to focus about 95% of my attention on Google. But thta's just me :)

Sorry if you thought I was picking holes. Just wanted to add my thoughts to this.

Banana Man

I saw the article in the paper a week or so ago that you contributed to. We'll if my memory serves me correctly it was you??? At least the journalist talked to some people who actually know something about seo before witting an article on it for a change :)

RedCardinal

I saw the article in the paper a week or so ago that you contributed to. We'll if my memory serves me correctly it was you??? At least the journalist talked to some people who actually know something about seo before witting an article on it for a change :)
Not being smart, but I actually have no idea.

Can you remember which paper? I haven't spoken to any journos in a while mind...

Banana Man

Cant remember now, my dad showed me the article. Probably the Irish Times but i dont know when he bought it exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.