Which Instant Message Software Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
As the thread title suggests .....

Which Instant Message Software Do You Use?

I'm currently using Adium and Pidgin

What about the rest of you?

link8r

Yahoo, MSN and skype. But mostly Skype. Great for IM-chatting especially when you have teams/employees in different countries. I like it because you can discuss something technical over a say on hour but it doesn't tie you up from answering e-mails and doing other things like a phone call does.

link8r

Yeah. I know I can use them all together on Meebo - but meebo sux. I've been using Yahoo IM for about 14 years now, dont really have that many contacts on it.

I use Skype daily. Probably should just use Pidgin right? how does it compare to the new skype?

You see I keep skype for work clients and MSN for friends who are scattered all over the planet - nice to keep them separate

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried using Skype via Pidgin, though it works fine via Adium

You can easily disable which accounts are connected at any given time plus hook into a bunch of other stuff like Facebook chat, Gtalk etc.,

MayaLocke

It sounds crazy but I use Groove for IM. I find regular IM too interruptive ( is that a word?). By using Groove I can respond when I choose, and the only people I chat with are related to business collaboration.

Donagh

It's MSN for me although i must admit that i don't IM to regurally, just once or twice a week lately.

Maximum Bob

Gtalk and Skype for me, we use google hosted apps company wide so its handy for all of use in different locations to gtalk directly from the gmail page. Use skype for friends and some overseas clients/suppliers and for making those long distance calls, although blueface now seems to have made that end of things a bit redundant

searchmasters

skype and used to be pigeon, but now I use digsby. Digsby adds tweating to the mix, plus facebook. So is a step up from what I have personally had with pigeon.

Skype is wonderful, quality sound attached to video and chat. Use it so often.

Redrocket

Pidgin, i like it's ability to copy your .purple? folder from you linux to your windows machine, best feature imo :D
Apart from that no problems with it and no need to look at any other software

MOH

skype and used to be pigeon, but now I use digsby. Digsby adds tweating to the mix, plus facebook. So is a step up from what I have personally had with pigeon.

Skype is wonderful, quality sound attached to video and chat. Use it so often.

I came across Digsby last week, installed it and set it up. Was working fine the first night. Gf rang me at work the next day to say the laptop was dying, was taking 30 minutes to boot. Spent hours at it when I got home, was hanging for ages with something using 100% of CPU, but not listed in Task Manager. After much googling came across a similar problem someone had which they tracked down to a distributed processing DLL.
Digsby has an option where they basically sell your spare CPU cycles when your machine is idle for other projects. I'd turned all those options off, but that seemed to be the problem.
Uninstalled Digsby and laptop was back to normal.
So approach with caution.

davork

What I use

On the PC:
Trillian Astra
Reuters Messenger (it's a closed user IM for the Financial community)

On the Mac:
iChat

Tried Adium a few years back when AOL kept changing their IM protocols and gave up using it in the end - probably should try again!

crat3rs

I'm using LanTalk. It's an intranet instant messenger using a peer-to-peer pc connection. This software have a fault-tolerant and fully distributed architecture which enables to transfer files, detecting user's availability without server software, sending message to offline clients.

cmba138G

I use to yahoo messenger for many years now. Sometimes I use skype but I am comfortable in using ym and it is user friendly for me. I also have many contacts in my ym now so I find it difficult to switch to a newer instant messaging software.

StrettyNews

I use Amsn seeing I work on a Mac Book and there isn't many good clients out there! Amsn is ok but still looking for a better one, I might try some of the ones that you guys use. Skype is also one I like but is it only me or do these random people add you? I don't like that at all it should be a bit more private!

Status
Not open for further replies.