Transferring domains to another hosting provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMenace

Folks, I have a few .ie domains hosted with Company X. I emailed Company X about 5 days ago to ask them if they would be dropping the price of their .ie domain names because they're considerably more expensive than some of their main competitors. Twice as expensive, more in some cases! I never received a reply to my support email so I called them yesterday morning to investigate further. I was told that because I was a bulk buyer with a dedicated server, they would look into giving me a discount. Over 24 hours later and I haven't heard anything back from them.

Now I wouldn't normally consider myself a demanding or difficult customer. Once my service is up-and-running I can normally take care of myself and I am generally happy to suffer crappy support (and I generally do with Company X). But I'm asking this company why they are charging me twice what their main competitors are for .ie domains and they're not even defending themselves!

Now my dedicated server contract with these guys is for 3 years. If I could I would just switch hosting companies but I guess I'm stuck with them for another year and 10 months at least.

My question is this - what effect would it have on my site (in terms of anything - SEO, downtime, etc, etc) if I transferred all my domains to another hosting company that can provide me with competitively priced domains?

davidbehan

I can't see you having any downtime or SEO issues with changing who you register your domains with. It's only a matter of updating the billing contact on your domain. Your nameservers will still be in place and so any move should not effect you as long as your domain(s) are still on the same server.

If Company X is who I think it is, I heard a rumour that their prices might be dropping quite significantly in the coming weeks.

Dave

TheMenace

Well I called them yesterday and they couldn't confirm this. The advice I would give to "Company X" would be to 'be competitive TODAY' as they're about to lose a customer.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Moving domains from one registrar to another will not have any impact on SEO or uptime as long as the DNS is not modified or removed, which it shouldn't be in your case

Status
Not open for further replies.