Protecting against Fraudlent Transactions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

googlebomber76

Looking at all the different methods of accepting payments online Laser and PayPal seems to offer the least security for e-tailers against fraud, are there any steps you can take with both of them to minimise risk?

Secure Code, Go & Pay, 3V seem to the only safe methods of taking payment online, is there any other methods i'm missing....

question is in realtion to Irish transactions...tks

louie

I am not sure about PayPal (never had problems) but Laser cards seems to be a pain (the reason we don't take them any-longer via website)

We use at the moment the 3D secure from Realex and no issues so far...

link8r

It happens in Ireland from Irish IP's too - a company got hit in Ireland recently - I won't name them here but it was an Irish "gang"/"group" that I think was responsible. Gardai won't investigate apparently...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It happens in Ireland from Irish IP's too - a company got hit in Ireland recently - I won't name them here but it was an Irish "gang"/"group" that I think was responsible. Gardai won't investigate apparently...
Yes, but it's a lot lower risk

Hi,
I have been hit quite badly by them. They have all been Irish cards. I put 3d secure on my site but the problem is that a lot of people have problems using it and tend to give up rather than complete the transaction. I have since taken it off again. It also doesn't cover you for for laser transactions. I use realex and what I have now done is setup delayed settlement which means I check every order and make sure I am happy with it before it is processed. I am also going to look into Realscore which is where you can setup different parameters on where the card is from, addresses and emails also I think. And then the card is rejected based on these.
My feeling is the banks need to take a greater responsibility for these and protect the Merchant more. I have spoken to a Senator who is going to raise it in the Senate as the Gardai say their hands are tied as they cannot get any prosecutions with these guys. I think a pin system online would surely protect everybody.
My rant for the day!
Sian x

louie

The last time I registered such event with the Gardai was 2-3 years ago.
They took all the details, making me spend few hours with them, but never heard about it since, so gave up on the issues and moved to 3D secure.
Less orders, but at least I can sleep well at night.

I know. I am going to leave it off for the moment and see how it goes. But I will probably have to put it back up again. There is talk of them making it compulsory for 3d on all sites. But they will have to do a better job of educating shoppers on how to use it.

The Gardai say there are people selling these stolen cards on the street. If they cannot get convictions then I am sorry there is something wrong with the law. As you can tell, I am very angry about this. I just feel that it is being brushed under the carpet with the merchants taking the brunt of it.

x

elchefe

Never had a problem with Paypal. I make sure that I only ship to the address provided by Paypal and I track my shipping.

Think I am going to put paypal as an option on the site alongside with 3d and see how it works. Fed up dealing with these people and getting upset by them. I know I should just detach myself from them. But it is hard when you are effectively having to turn detective to try and prove they are fraudsters to protect your business.

I would love to setup some sort of central database that merchants could enter proven details such as email addresses, mobile numbers that have been used in a fradulent tranasaction and that could be accessed by approved online merchants if they are suspicious of an order to see if it has been used previously. I have already stopped another business from sending out a large order to an address that defrauded myself by cross checking these details.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? If the Gardai aren't going to protect us we should try and help ourselves! (feel all militant in my pinny!!)

Sian x

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You will get fraudulent transactions with Paypal and there is very little you can do about it

googlebomber76

I would love to setup some sort of central database that merchants could enter proven details such as email addresses, mobile numbers that have been used in a fradulent tranasaction and that could be accessed by approved online merchants if they are suspicious of an order to see if it has been used previously.

Sian that's a very good idea...:cool: (i'm in)

Surley the banks, realex etc must already have some kind of database established. It seems ludricous in this day and age that AIB can't tell me the registered address of the aib credit card used on my site. And then they come along and hit you with a chargeback because you sent it to an unconfirmed address and it's a fradulent transaction:mad:

There is nothing in place at the moment. I am actually looking for some info on Data Protection if anybody could help me please.

The Banks or Realex will only give details to the Gardai. Even if you have a suspicion they will do nothing for you. I went to them initially with suspicians and then to Fraud Depts in Banks and got no help. Gardai said a crime had not been committed. Banks just said they couldn't do anything as I had no info.

Status
Not open for further replies.