Status
Not open for further replies.

figment

Sweetness in all kinds of ways :)

I would remove the drop shadow from the bottom stripe on the home page as it cheapens it.
Also the image of chocolates has not been properly cut out on http://www.lilyobriens.ie/Corporate.aspx . I can still see the outline of the image and shadow of old background.

grandad

There were some issues with domain propagation. Probably why TheManace couldn't see it.

BTW, you can be free and impartial with the critique - it's not mine. Magico [as you will see from the logo on the bottom].

TheMenace

I'm actually quite surprised by Magico here. Their work up to this point has been utter tripe in every respect but the design of this is a huge improvement. It's still not totally to my taste; the layout's a bit disparate and the grid is all over the place but the colours and imagery used are nice and it's fairly easy to navigate. Also, there's been some attempt at standards which, while far from perfect, is a damn site better than the horrid crud they churned out for, say, the Hughes and Hughes website.

In terms of SEO, the foundations are there but it looks as if there's loads of work to do.

So it seems that winning a Golden Spider for 'Best Web Agency' has some benefits after all. Companies that produce crap win it, manage to acquire hundreds of thousands of Euro in new business as a result and, in turn, are able to hire better staff and improve the quality of their work. Maybe the awards aren't not so bad after all. ;)

Cormac

i like the site, love the colours
richardo, are you going to charge for the use of the favico?

grandad

Nah! They can have the favicon!!

With regard to the validation, I warned Lilys about that. The original prototype site they had was crawling with errors [no Doctype??!!]. Lilys then demanded a valid site :D

ButtermilkJack

...With regard to the validation, I warned Lilys about that. The original prototype site they had was crawling with errors [no Doctype??!!]. Lilys then demanded a valid site :D
Good on ya'!

BTW, seeing as I've always liked the H&H bookshops I thought I'd meander over to their website (as it's mentioned here) and have a look.

Just out of interest (I'm sure it's been covered before, but...) can someone clarify the difference between having 'pages from Ireland' checked or checked? I just did a Google search for "hughes and hughes books" (with 'pages from Ireland' checked) and gave up after 5 pages as their site was nowhere to be seen. Eventually found it through Magico's site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The website isn't hosted in Ireland, so it won't appear in the "pages from Ireland" results:

Code:
root@palermo:~# geoiplookup www.hughesbooks.com
GeoIP Country Edition: GB, United Kingdom

Code:
root@palermo:~# host www.hughesbooks.com
www.hughesbooks.com has address 213.232.92.204

That IP is in the UK, so if you go to Google UK and do the same search you will find the site

Sidane

There's some serious divitis going on in that markup!

Not a bad design though, not mad on the gawdy purple, red and blue secondary colours. Would have been nicer if they stuck to the green from the buy section throughout the site imo. Overall quite nice.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried Lilys site yet with Javascript disabled? ;)

OMFG!

I just tried it in lynx to see what would happen:

jmcc

It is bad for so many values of bad.

It is like it was put together without concern for the text. (A failing that seems to be very common with designers who have little print/text design experience.) The way it breaks in Mozilla is disturbing. I was wondering if someone had smeared splodges of blue paint on my monitor as it obscured some of the text. These people really need some SEO! Simple is almost always better and the front page is so visually busy that it is distracting.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.