Status
Not open for further replies.

MOH

Wondering if anyone's running Magento on shared hosting in Ireland, and what kind of performance you're getting. Looking at setting up a small online shop (100 or less products) and would rather not go VPS if possible.

Just in case, can anyone recommend a good VPS host they've used, preferably again with Magento.

indy0077

Wondering if anyone's running Magento on shared hosting in Ireland, and what kind of performance you're getting. Looking at setting up a small online shop (100 or less products) and would rather not go VPS if possible.

Just in case, can anyone recommend a good VPS host they've used, preferably again with Magento.
That's the problem with Magento. It's "FREE" (just the main script so as it is) but not recommnded for shared hosting. The CS-Cart for example is not free but it works with xxx products on shared plans without any problems.

The question is then, how much will the Magento store costs in xx years on a VPS?

MOH

There's fair bit of anecdotal evidence out there of people getting it working successfully on shared hosting, just a matter of finding a host that's well configured for it.

(There's also a lot of alternative free options with lesser requirements - even if I wasnt using Magento, I'd probably be looking at ZenCart rather than a paid alternative)

indy0077

There's fair bit of anecdotal evidence out there of people getting it working successfully on shared hosting, just a matter of finding a host that's well configured for it.

(There's also a lot of alternative free options with lesser requirements - even if I wasnt using Magento, I'd probably be looking at ZenCart rather than a paid alternative)
Zen-Cart is very good, I would say better like OS-Commerce because of better core structure and free addons.

Free solution is an alternative but costs very much time and so called "DIY" actions.

ProContractors

Magento

In opinion Magento has a bit more to offer in functionalities, but I think it's a question of what you are looking for. If you just want a very simple setup with few products some other solutions may be better suitable for you.

Shared hosting with Magento is a bit tricky to setup - but far from impossible. If you are looking for performance in you Magento store you should have a look at Sonassi Magento Benchmark. It's a free Magento performance comparison tool.

StudioForty9

Hi MOH,

Leaving aside the issue of Magento vs Everything Else, and focusing on the question - we've seen Magento running on different shared servers in Ireland and the performance is only acceptable to poor.

If you have an ordinary enough sized store that will be left fairly static it's fine - but don't try anything like bulk imports, and exports of the catalogue - bulk changes in products etc (basically - standard enough techniques for managing a catalogue on a regular basis).

So you can set up and run a small shop which sells products that you are going to be updating yourself manually. The performance of the store will be okay. I won't name names, because I can't recommend a specific Irish host for Magento hosting.

By the by, VPS hosting isn't a silver bullet at all - you'll need to get it configured and set up for hosting a Magento site, which of course will cost you. Out of the box a VPS solution is going to be worse than any of the decent Irish shared server solutions.

If you're happy to go abroad - then Medialayer in the states offer an excellent service at good value - starting at approx. $10 a month. If you need someone closer to home - we've also used Xtrahost in the UK - more expensive (I think maybe in the region of 40 or 50 a month) and they have some quirks - they don't give you access to a control panel for example - you need to make configurations via support...

Finally, the best of the best close to home and abroad has to be Rackspace - but if you had the money for those guys you wouldn't be here asking questions :)

I notice your post is fairly old now - so have you any experience to share? Who did you go with in the end?

willows

Hi MOH,

Leaving aside the issue of Magento vs Everything Else, and focusing on the question - we've seen Magento running on different shared servers in Ireland and the performance is only acceptable to poor.

If you have an ordinary enough sized store that will be left fairly static it's fine - but don't try anything like bulk imports, and exports of the catalogue - bulk changes in products etc (basically - standard enough techniques for managing a catalogue on a regular basis).

So you can set up and run a small shop which sells products that you are going to be updating yourself manually. The performance of the store will be okay. I won't name names, because I can't recommend a specific Irish host for Magento hosting.

By the by, VPS hosting isn't a silver bullet at all - you'll need to get it configured and set up for hosting a Magento site, which of course will cost you. Out of the box a VPS solution is going to be worse than any of the decent Irish shared server solutions.

If you're happy to go abroad - then Medialayer in the states offer an excellent service at good value - starting at approx. $10 a month. If you need someone closer to home - we've also used Xtrahost in the UK - more expensive (I think maybe in the region of 40 or 50 a month) and they have some quirks - they don't give you access to a control panel for example - you need to make configurations via support...

Finally, the best of the best close to home and abroad has to be Rackspace - but if you had the money for those guys you wouldn't be here asking questions :)

I notice your post is fairly old now - so have you any experience to share? Who did you go with in the end?

The above would be our experience too. We have used namecheap in the US for some magento installs. You need SSH to do alot of functions quickly from a development point of view. Magento while very powerful is costly to maintain because of its complexity hence the reason I think alot of companies push it because it has good respend rates on it.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Offering SSH on shared hosting is madness. If someone wants SSH access they really need to get something other than shared

Status
Not open for further replies.