Magento acquired by eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOH

Just got an e-mail from Magento informing me that they've been acquired by eBay.

Apparently they're going to keep developing the Magento line (Community/Enterprise/Mobile and Go editions) while collaborating with eBay on developing a new open source platform called "X.Commerce".

From the FAQ: " eBay plans to operate Magento’s ecommerce platform separately while they look at additional
ways to fully integrate Magento into eBay Inc.’s X.Commerce platform, following the closing..... eBay plans to integrate Magento into their X.Commerce platform group led by Matthew
Mengerink following the closing. Magento will be eBay’s product brand for its X.Commerce
storefront and app store properties. Magento and the existing X.Commerce teams will leverage
one another's capabilities, but will have distinct product focus. Over the coming year, key functional systems and processes will be integrated with eBay Inc., following the closing and
where appropriate. The eBay Inc. and Magento teams will work together to develop joint
integration plans over the coming months"

So, whatever that means.

link8r

Will be an interesting move and probably give Magento a strong advertising point (whether its unique or not) - that you can upload and manage your catalogue from within Magento and push it to ebay....

Will be very interesting to see this develop.

MOH

I'm just a bit worried the community edition is going to suffer if they're stretched for resources.

Also, "X.Commerce"? What a terrible name. What's with the 'dot'

link8r

I'm just a bit worried the community edition is going to suffer if they're stretched for resources.

Also, "X.Commerce"? What a terrible name. What's with the 'dot'

That's the marketing team improving the product. It's up there with Microsoft DNA. Nobody knew what it meant but it cost £8million to market. I always thought it meant "Delivering New Acronyms"

Status
Not open for further replies.