Email Subscription Legal Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SusanGallagher

Is it legal to opt people into an email list when they sign up for a service,
as long as you allow them to unsubscribe once they receive the first email?

Thanks
Susan

php.allstar

Hi Susan,

I'm not sure about the legalities but from an operations point of view, here's my two cents...

You should give people the choice to opt in themselves and even double opt in at that.

They agree to opt in, you send them an email, asking them to confirm their subscription by clicking a link in the email. This kind of setup is rock-solid.

If you just add them without their permission you will find many of the people are marking your emails as SPAM and left with a sour taste about your company as a result.

link8r

I'm pretty sure people have to opt in. Depends on your source - whoever got their e-mail address and gave it to you - did THEY have permission to transfer it to you?

markostanley

In my world, I never assume optin. It's just too dangerous. Always, always, always have users explicitly opt in on any form you collect their details on. Then ensure they have the ability to easily opt out on every email you send them. If you follow those rules, you can't go wrong.

figment

Technically it is legal in Ireland. However there are all kinds of deliverability / reputation problems you can be subject to if a user decides it is spam and clicks the "This is spam" button.

Not worth the hassle. Get a clear opt in

Status
Not open for further replies.