Turn on or Leave off

Status
Not open for further replies.

neweb

After having to recently replace my PSU (see article URGENT URGENT) I was wondering is it better to leave your system on all the time or turn it off when not in use.

After replacing the PSU in my system for the second time I notice a little bit of a pattern emerging.

My System:
Turned on in the morning and off at night: 3 PSU's so far

My Wife's System:
Turned on and left on some times for weeks: Original PSU

Another Office System:
Turned on on a Monday and only turned off on a Friday evening: Original PSU

All systems are 6 years old self build units.

Based on the above I get the impression its best to turn it on and leave it on.

Am I wrong ??????

louie

I only turn my computers off after I install something or gets updated.

jmcc

Technically, leaving the computer on may be best. The constant turning on and turning off of the computer means that the components go through extra heat stress. The failure of the components tends to follow what is known as a bathtub curve. The component is most likely to fail at the beginning or towards the end of its lifetime. I've a box here that's about twelve years old and is still running. It has been on more or less continuously during that period with the odd powerdown for updates etc. Never mind what the eco-facists say about switching off devices - keeping them powered prolongs their lifetime.

Regards...jmcc

neweb

Its becoming very apparent that leaving it on is the best option.

I have left both my office systems on since last Sunday and I'm really starting to like it.
Walk in do what you have to do and walk away. No waiting for start-ups and so on.

My office system has a temp display and the system is consistently running at 20.3c to 20.8c
Normally on start up it would be about 5c then quickly go to 20c

I can see the logic in leaving it on.

Tom

What about electricity costs though? It would add up if you left them on all the time. If the psu keeps going in your system and it can't handle being switched on and off I'd consider getting a new system, especially if it's old.

jmcc

What about electricity costs though? It would add up if you left them on all the time. If the psu keeps going in your system and it can't handle being switched on and off I'd consider getting a new system, especially if it's old.
It may also be that the PSU power rating is too low for the system. This may have the PSU operating at close to its power limit.

Regards...jmcc

neweb

It may also be that the PSU power rating is too low for the system. This may have the PSU operating at close to its power limit.

Regards...jmcc

Both PSU's where well able and more then capable to handle the power requirements. I think its more a case of bad luck.

The power would be very little if left on all the time. I was looking at figures on the internet with always on verses on/off and it was only about €100 a year. As for the system being old. Its a home build system built about 6 years ago. at the time it had the state of the art tech put in (all when I could afford it :D)

Its still got a higher spec then modern mid range systems.

ashburner

Is that €100 a year to run a computer, or the difference between always on, and on/off.

If its the difference then its a no brainer surely; your PSU's are lasting an average of 2 years & cost probably about €50 each. Buy two, keep one as a spare and you'll save €300 over the four years' lifetime. Additionally, you have some redundancy in case of normal/abnormal PSU failure.

neweb

Is that €100 a year to run a computer, or the difference between always on, and on/off.

If its the difference then its a no brainer surely; your PSU's are lasting an average of 2 years & cost probably about €50 each. Buy two, keep one as a spare and you'll save €300 over the four years' lifetime. Additionally, you have some redundancy in case of normal/abnormal PSU failure.

The €100.00 is more if its left on.

As for getting 2 PSU's and saving money. You also have to take in the thermal shock consideration.

If you turn it on and off a lot you have your parts expanding and contracting a lot. This would be the equivalent of bending a piece of metal in the same spot over and over again. Eventually it will fail.

I am no leaving my systems on almost all the time and they are running at a constant 24-25c regardless of the heat in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.