Looking to learn programming - recommendations??

Status
Not open for further replies.

icinine

Hi all,

I am looking to get some recommendations for a part-time programming course:

I'm between 2 at the moment, one from NCIRL and one with IBAT. The NCIRL sounds like the more advanced of the 2 with a price tag to match.

My question is: in reality, how much weight is put on a qualification?

My overall intention is to work in the software development arena - specializing in Ruby on Rails and Python. The courses in question will teach me MySQL, Java etc - and I feel that a bit of paper backing me up will do no harm to my chances of landing a good gig.

Any thoughts? (and thanks for your help)

paul

Ninja
Why don't you try some online courses first ? Lower commitment, immediate start, and you can find out if it's the right thing for you.

Two I've used, and found great are

Both come with a trial, so I would suggest trying CodeAcademy first, as it's shorter and then Team Treehouse.

If you want you can get a discount using my referral links CodeSchool / TeamTreehouse. Another popular one is Codecademy but I haven't used it.

There are some free RoR courses, or free/premium ones like railscasts that are also of good quality.

icinine

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking at 2 part-time courese with NCIRL at the moment around Web-Technologies. I have some experience with C and Java. My plan was always to get the qualification and then pad it out by learning ROR, JSON and Python via Codeschool.
From other Fora I have posted on it seems that you really need the qualification to even get in the door in most cases these days, even though I dont have an intention in actively pravticing the languages I will be thought as part of the course.
The more things change.... (etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.