Google Adsense - Some Direction Please for a Novice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazelstutorials

Hi Guys,

I have searched through the fora and perhaps my keywords are too obscure but I was wondering if you could help me out as I didn't find what I was looking for :confused:

I'm interested in starting up a website and want to include Google Ad-sense as part of the monetizing revenue potential of the site. Now, I'm not a business just an individual - I want to be legit and I was just wondering from those of you "in the know" what do you advise? I know I will have to claim the monies earned obviously as it's a source of income but should I declare that as an individual or as a sole trader?

Is it advisable to set up with Google first, to see how the revenue return pans out and then take it from there? I've read on Google's site that they don't release the earnings until you post your tax details - so maybe this could be my path?

I'm really unsure as I've never done this before so I would really welcome some advice from the experts! Thank you so much!

Regards,
Hazel

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hazel

Bear in mind that I am not an accountant ..

I'd get it setup and running first. From what I've seen and heard a lot of people make very little revenue at first, so reporting 1 or 2 euro per month when you don't even get paid until you've hit 100 wouldn't make a lot of sense.

As for how you'd report it - it depends on if you are an employee of another company already or not ..

Sorry if that's a bit vague

Michele

hazelstutorials

Hi Michele,

Not vague at all, any help is very much appreciated! I've been leaning more towards your suggestion alright, if it's successful then I can take it further at that point in time sort of like cross that bridge when I come to it...IF i get to it! lol

I freelance right now so I'm not sure how that affects your comment?

Thanks,

Hazel

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hazel

If you're currently a freelancer then you're effectively a sole trader.
You would therefore, I assume, be reporting your earnings as such .. You'd also be reporting your expenses ..

Michele

hazelstutorials

Yeah exactly - I guess you've told me what I thought would be the right decision, try out Adsense and take it from there really, nerves get the better of me!! Thanks for kicking me in the right direction :D

Hazel

hazelstutorials

Sorry to be a nuisance but I was just wondering if you know does Google Adsense allow you to specify a limit on what triggers a payment, say I wanted to specify 1,000euro for example before a cheque will be issued, or is it at a standard 100 as you said Michele?

Thanks! : )

Hazel

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hazel

From what I recall (and I could be wrong) you can't set triggers like that. You'd need to login to your account and put a hold on payment manually.

Amazon, however, does offer the option of trigger limits (which is really handy!)

Michele

socialer

Great topic people, I have been trying to restore or reopen my adsense account from google. But everytime I'mn getting off by google. I've applied for an account yesterday afternoon and rejected in the evening. I'm not sure what happening there. I beleive hazel got yours up and running. Have you experienced any problem opening your adsense account? I think it is not right to ask this way but I'm very curious,... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.