Expression Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbehan

Hiya Peter,

I used EE on a recent project - Trim GAA Club - Football and Hurling - Men's, Ladies and Juvenille - not a bad CMS at all. I'll use it again. What I found was that I wasn't mad about the frontend building. It's like learning a new language and that can be a pain but it wasn't too difficult with the example code and stuff. The template system is good but I really do prefer having my files in DW with code colouring and ftping my changes and stuff. I found myself making the changes in DW, testing them, loading up the file in the CP, making the change there, saving, retesting! This was quite annoying when you have loads of little css tweaks to do and then test on a few browsers to make sure it's right!

I'm looking at using it on another 2 projects at the moment but what really stood out for me was the actual admin cp. If I can use that CP to create the database fields, set up the different sections and allow users to login and post entries, then perfect! I'm going to dive into the database and see if I can just build my own frontend after I've created all the fields using the cp. If so, I'll be onto a winner. I think I'll be able to produce a much cleaner and easier to manage frontend if I can take full control.

5 mins later... I've just had a quick look into the mysql db and the tables that are there. It's set up in the way I thought it would be and I think it wouldn't be too difficult to construct your own frontend to interact with the database in either php or asp. I'm going to try that on the next installation I think. It's just I don't really like online systems for file management... i kept hitting ctrl + s on the page, which was trying to save the page in FF as oppossed to hitting the save button!

Good system though and there's a lot in it. You could build the whole site using the internal template system and have a great looking site. I'm just being fussy! There's loads of modules you can add in too like gallery, forum, etc.

Hope that helps but give me a shout if you want any more info! :D

Rgds, Dave

EdenWeb

but I really do prefer having my files in DW with code colouring and ftping my changes and stuff. I found myself making the changes in DW, testing them, loading up the file in the CP, making the change there, saving, retesting!

Agree - I hate that about most CMS systems. Isn't that the nature of CMS though? The whole layer of abstraction can be like keyhole surgery. Often a nicely designed part of a site which you could do natively in Dreamweaver and Fireworks can take up to 3 times as long to realise whith the whole CP login, change, test and review cycle.

Thanks for the info though. Im suprised that the setup can be a pain as their USP on the homepage reads something like 'adapts to your design/way of working' etc...

TheMenace

Similar to you David, I've been trying to find a CMS that just allows me to amend the database as I prefer to take care of the front-end integration myself - just for cleanliness and to have total control. If Expression Engine does the job for you, then let me know! I've tried Joomla and I hated it but I've just installed EE this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.