Is the IT lifestyle bad for your health?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering what others think ...

Do you think that working in IT has a negative impact on your health?

n3tFl0w

Definitely! As a sysadmin I'm ridiculously busy and have the most sedentary job on the planet!

I used to get out to the gym at lunchtimes but then it got too busy, so we didn't get any. Hoping to get back to that routine as its killing me having not been in a couple of months!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Second n3tFl0w. Beside gym, add cigarettes + coffee
Well I don't smoke during office hours Monday to Friday, but I don't get any physical exercise and drink a silly amount of coffee (at least it's good quality!)

nevf

I'm at school, Monday to Friday, so I'm walking around the school with the head in the books, and away from IT. But I find that the only time i get to do anything on the laptop is late at night, so i'm often up until 2am or even later (sometime 4/5am), and then i have to be up again at seven so even lack of sleep affects me. And I work Saturday, so I use the computer all day anyway, but at least I get a bit of exercise around it.

Then because I know a lot about computers, it's a factor in me being secretary or chairperson on every committee or organisation I'm in, and spend hours every day typing up stuff.

Then I spend time arsing about on IWF and Boards mainly, but also running around online just researching stuff.

I get very little physical exercise, and I have no proper office or working area. I have a laptop, a charger, wireless internet, a copy and a pen(or 2) and I just find a free room in my house. I am planning on getting a desk and some stuff in my room now though because i'm getting some serious back problems. Also going to people's houses trying to fix up cables and whatnot behind computers - and it really rips the back to shreds that night.

That and 4 cups of coffee a day, and maybe even two teas. Friday night is the only night I get out of the house really and get away from 'business as usual'. God bless Friday.

Byron

Em,
I'm not too bad, I raise invoices when I get cranky / tired, it cheers me up.

I suppose I work about 10 hours a week, which if I actually was more efficient could be 3 hours... and I earn enough to make me happy...

... hmm I don't exercise alot, but atleast IT is less dangerous than climbing pylons or fishing

link8r

Well I don't smoke during office hours Monday to Friday, but I don't get any physical exercise and drink a silly amount of coffee (at least it's good quality!)

Becareful on the coffee - I ended up getting palpitations after consuming 5-6 cappucino's a day and exagerated hypertension. Hypertension killed my father, so I'm very cautious of coffee (and salt) now.

FrisArvz

Due to demand in works, there are some instances that you might get sick. I remember that day I get sick for a week due to over fatigue in work.

stephen186

I used to feel IT is bad when i was working as a medical transcriptionist and working almost 10 hours.........with continuous hearing, typing.........but when i quit medical transcription and joined internet marketing, i cannot expect my life with IT>.

Sun

It saved my mind and gives me something to do when the child sleeps at night… it doesn’t fill the gap of loosing a spouse but somehow it has helped in the grieving process.
God bless the internet and IT!

cmba138G

In my opinion, it is not bad for my health. Well, the first thing you have in mind is to have a balance time. A time for yourself, loved ones, and other things you need to do. I used to be very hook up playing an online game but I realized that I need to balance my time. Balance in every thing is the keyword in having a happy IT life!

synapsis

All I do in school is read health based journals and they know it is bad for your health. Depends on the degree you balance it with life outside of work. For example, if you just come home and go on the net again or sit around inactive, your going to be in bad health very soon if you are not already. However, if you get out of work and decide to do more social things and get involved in sports of some sort, you'll have a balance and won't be prone to as many health defects. True story ;)

Gossip Junkie

I do. I always get headache and backache after working in front of PC for 8 hours. But I don't have a choice, its my job, its my way of living.

Status
Not open for further replies.