Contact number for a web-based business

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOH

For anyone running a web-based business from home, what do you use as a contact number? Obviously I don't want to give out my personal landline, so some VOIP option seems the best bet.

Blueface and Skype are the two obvious contenders, but there's a huge price difference.

Blueface's terms prohibit using a personal account for business (although given the low volumes I'd expect to be dealing with I might get away with it). Their business package costs 35/month or 395/year ex-VAT, for 2 geographical numbers, 2 076 numbers,and a fax number including fax->e-mail, and unlimited landline calls to Ireland and the UK.

On the other hand, Skype seem to have no separate pricing for business accounts. Ex-VAT, it's 5/month or 50/year for a geographic number. It's 3.95/month for unlimited landline calls within Ireland (and I think this gives you a 50% discount on the geographic number). Can also forward/transfer incoming calls for free to a landline (as part of your unlimited calls), or to a mobile on a pay per minute basis. There's no fax handling, but I don't really expect to need that.

Overall, Skype looks by far the better deal - 73 quid + Vat for a year's supply of a Dublin number and unlimited landline calls. And if you register your VAT number with them they don't charge VAT on any credit you buy.

What are people's experience with Skype/Blueface? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

I'm just looking for something to handle small volumes of customer support calls, as I'd expect all orders and most other contact to be coming through the website/e-mail.

Web Templates

There are 3rd party services that will act as a answering service or you could just get a phone line and direct it to voice mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.