.CO.UK domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donal

I have a client who wants to get his domain name in .co.uk. He has the usual .com, net, org and ie. When I did a .co.uk for another client who lives in the UK I had to put the address and postal code on the application form. This client lives in Ireland and does not want to use family's or friends address in the UK. One of the hosting companies, I use, is based in UK and they said no he needs a UK address.

Anyway around this problem as he is afraid a uk competitor will register the domain name.

Thanks

link8r

You dont need a UK address to register a .CO.UK

Register it with Blacknight here.

HTH.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
there's no restriction on .co.uk registration.
The only *.uk extensions that have restrictions are ltd.uk and net.uk (and a couple of other specific extensions)

jol

Never had a problem registering *.co.uk from Ireland without having a uk address personally....
JOL

HugsZoo

I recently registered a .co.uk domain also, no requirement to provide a UK address. AFAIK it is just the .ie domains that are like that (a valid address within the country is needed to secure the domain) From my reading on the issue, the .ie domains are one of the most protected in the world. You probably already know that though :redface:. I registered with godaddy btw.

4.4 We do not impose restrictions on your status as applicant for the registration of a Domain Name in the following SLDs ("Open SLDs"):
  • 4.4.1 .co.uk; or
  • 4.4.2 .org.uk.

Link to full article

Status
Not open for further replies.