Anyone know the REAL answer to this? (Facebook Pages/Profiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

Does anyone know the answer to this question? It's wrecking my head, Ive had mixed answers on it & I need to put it to bed once and for all!

Am I right in saying that you can NOT create a fake/multiple PERSONAL profiles on facebook in order to create a "Business page"

For example if my company was called "Bobs Shoes" could I make a personal Profile called Bobs shoes & from that a business Page called Bobs shoes? Meanwhile Maintaining my real personal profile - Joe Blogs.

The reason why I ask is because lately I'm seeing lots of people/business doing this.

*Plus FB made me delete an account before because I was maintaining multiple accounts. (you might think that's the answer facebook making me delete one account but why are other people getting away with it?)

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Satanta

There's no question about it. Search Facebook for the terms and conditions and they make it extremely obvious. You can't have more than one profile.

If I already have a user profile, can I create a business account?
Maintaining multiple accounts, regardless of the purpose, is a violation of Facebook’s Terms of Use. If you already have a personal account, then we cannot allow you to create business accounts for any reason. You can manage all the Pages and Socials Ads that you create on your personal account.

If you want to set up a page/group for your business, this must be done via a legitimate personal account. Setting up a duplicate 'business profile' to do it is breaking the terms and conditions and means that both that profile and the business page could be deleted.

Just because you see others doing it, doesn't mean it can or should be done.

bober

Thanks Satanta for giving me some peace of mind. I did know this but I've had so many different views about this topic. (I just needed some clarity).

For example this is what the Facebookforum.net said to this "You can have as many personal accounts as you want, as create as many pages you want. Your personal accounts and pages can have the same name, of course, but not the same username (the short text to access your page after facebook.com - ie facebook.com/FbookForum)."

I just couldn't understand how they said this - this is why I'm here:)

Thanks a mill:)

Satanta

I suppose if they want to be pedantic you 'can' have as many accounts as you want, but you're in breach of the T&C's and risk losing the accounts. The issue is really one that is fuelled by FB's failure to actively crack down on such abuse (ranging from the 'automated bot like' accounts to the various 'business as a person' accounts), but as they continue to focus on the corporate market they could easily choose to take a much harder line on this in the future (and they have already hit a number of accounts that have breached the rules, just not enough for it to stop the behaviour).

Personally, it's something where I would never risk it. If you're going to invest the time and effort into a page/account to make it a success, having the potential for it to be shut down at any point is too large a risk.

bober

Personally, it's something where I would never risk it. If you're going to invest the time and effort into a page/account to make it a success, having the potential for it to be shut down at any point is too large a risk.

I couldn't agree more with you...

BTW, I can finally sleep peacefully now, haha thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.